Monday, May 28, 2007

This is Not Normal!

My number one engine...stopped...in flight. Ok, maintain directional control, pitch attitude, airspeed-check. Mixtures, Props, Throttles-full forward. Identify (left rudder is inactive), Verify - close throttle. Fix or feather-feather. Declare emergency and land at nearest airport. Engine failure checklist complete.

This may look like a problem, but it was all on purpose. As part of my training at ATP, I have to learn how to fly and handle a multi-engine aircraft in the event that I have an engine failure. It's actually quite comforting to know that I have a spare engine if I need it! Patrick, my instructor, took this pic this morning in my training flight.

Here's a cool, calm, and collected pilot...(actually, my back was sweating and my palms were soaked!)

To give credit where it is due, the above 2 photos were taken by my instructor, Patrick Stewart (no, not the guy from Star Trek!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Lots of adventures for you guys. Way to go Nathan, graduating and getting your pilots license. That has to feel awesome. And, now you both are living in Phoenix. Wow!! Lots of good changes. Erin, what are you upto. Are you working in Phoenix right now? It is good to keep up with you guys. Take care.